We will be running Monday night club sessions from 7:00pm till 9:00pm at Mount St Mary’s College beginning on 12th October. These sessions will be conducted in accordance with British Fencing’s Covid Safe guidelines. Those participating will need to register prior to the session. This can preferably be done via Playwaze.com (link below)which is the activity registration service partnered with British Fencing, alternatively by text or email. Each session will cost £7.00 per session, payment for one or more sessions is payable by bank transfer to Sheffield Buccaneers Fencing Club, A/c No – 21215272, Sort Code – 40-41-37 (It says ‘free’ in the Playwaze portal as the website wouldn’t let me enter details). There will be no cash or cheque collections on the night. There will be a maximum group size of 18 selected on a first come first serve basis and training will take place in bubbles of six fencers. Those taking part are expected to have their own fencing equipment and all British Fencing Covid protocols will be followed. All those taking part should familiarise themselves with these guidelines from the British Fencing website. Parents not performing welfare or covid officer roles will be expected to remain outside the fencing salle. For any other details contact Adam at email@example.com or 07761284378.
Some key covid safe measures
- Masks to be worn when not actively engaged in training
- Training to take place in bubbles of up to 6 fencers, there will be no mixing between bubbles
- 2 metre social distancing to be observed in all practical circumstances
- Fencers should have their own gel and wipes
- Individual bouts will be for a maximum of 20 minutes
- No close quarter actions, referees to stop bouts where distance closes
- No handshakes but salutes at the beginning and end of bouts
- Individual lessons can only be provided to one bubble as a coach is classed as part of a bubble, this bubble will therefore have a maximum of 5 fencers. Any fencer who will want a lesson should let me know, Alternatively, I shall supervise the whole session
We are going to be able to restart fencing sessions at Mount St Mary’s College again on Mondays, starting on 12th October. Obviously, in the current situation there will need to be quite a lot of controls and procedures put in place. Initially I would like an indication of who might be wanting to make a commitment to regular attendance of these sessions, particularly from amongst those who attended these sessions previously and also those who have their own kit.
I have during the last few weeks been looking into every possibility of our club being able to restart fencing training in some form following our usual venue, Birkdale School not being available at the moment. Unfortunately, the only apparently practical option of Concord Sports Centre on Monday nights is not going to be possible. There are just not going to be enough people to cover the cost and make for a productive training session. The venue is very expensive and for many people was difficult to get to.
It looks like we probably have no choice but to wait until Birkdale makes itself available to external bookings again and they plan to review this in January. In the meantime if something comes up I will let everybody know.
- Training must take place in groups of 6. groups must remain separate and not mix.
- Sparing bouts within each group can be for 3 bouts to 5 or one bout to 15 with a maximum of 15 minutes per bout.
- All fencers must pre book in order to attend any session.
- All payments will need to be by bank transfer, no cash or cheques.
- There will inevitably be a limit on the number of fencers who can attend in order that pistes can be kept the correct distance apart and we will probably implement a firs come first serve booking system.
- We will need to appoint a covid 19 officer who will actively monitor compliance with the guidelines.
- There will be no sharing of equipment and fencers will be strongly advised to get their own, especially masks and gloves.
- Other adaptions and controls as required.
At the weekend two of Yorkshire’s major fencing competitions took place at Penistone Grammar School. On Saturday 8th of June was the Yorkshire Team Foil with a total of 9 teams competing from throughout the Region. The event involved a round of poules followed with direct elimination with every place being fought off. The competition was hosted by Barnsley Fencing Club who meet at Penistone Grammar School on Tuesdays. The final positions were –
1st – Louth 1(Louth Fencing Club)
2nd – Fast Buccs (Sheffield Buccaneers Fencing Club)
3rd – Big Buccs (Sheffield Buccaneers Fencing Club)
4th – Louth 2 (Louth Fencing Club)
5th – Last Buccs (Sheffield Buccaneers Fencing Club)
6th – Yorkshire Allstars (Leeds/Bradford Fencing Clubs)
7th – York University
8th – Barnsley Fencing Club
9th – Bradford Hornets (Bradford University Fencing Club)
On Sunday the 9th of June was the Yorkshire Youth League event at Penistone Grammar with over 50 entrants in a range of age groups including Under 10s, Under 12s, Under 14s and Under 16s at foil, epee and sabre. Everybody had a full and enjoyable day of fencing and special thanks must go to all the referees, helpers and organisers who made the event possible. The final positions from the different events are –
|Under 10 Girl’s Foil|
|1||Erin Walker||Sheffield Buccaneers|
|Under 10 Boy’s Foil|
|1||Rudy Levick||Sheffield Hallam|
|2||Ryan Mcgahey||Fernwood Sword Club|
|3=||Leonardo Watson||Sheffield Buccaneers|
|5||William Parry||Sheffield Hallam Fencing Club|
|6||Harvey Lack||Doncaster Fencing Club|
|Under 12 Girl’s Foil|
|2||Nicole Brown||Harrogate Fencing Club|
|3||Tegan Mcloughlin||Preston Fencing Club|
|Under 12 Boy’s Foil|
|2||Ethan Dakin||Fernwood Swords|
|3=||Gabriel Clayworth||Ashton Fencing Club|
|3=||Finlay Maclachlan||Radcliffe Sword Club|
|6||Louis Bird||Sheffield Buccaneers|
|7||Joseph Atkinson||Hymers College|
|8||Leonardo Chapman||Sheffield Buccaneers|
|10||Matthew Dalton||Sheffield Buccaneers|
|Under 14 Girl’s Foil|
|Under 14 Boy’s Foil|
|2||Arthur Eakin||Fernwood Sword Club|
|3=||Billy Levick||Sheffield Hallam|
|3=||Edward Lusted||Harrogate Fencing Club|
|5||Andrew Clarke||Salle Scipanovs Chester|
|6||Robert Hind||Sheffield Hallam Fencing Club|
|7||Henry Shirt||Barnsley Fencing Club|
|8||Tai Cookson||Royal Armouries|
|9||Dylan Thraves||Sheffield Hallam Fencing Club|
|10||Bobby McNicholas||Royal Armouries|
|11||Owen Shore||Mount St Mary’s|
|Under 10 Boy’s Epee|
|1||Dylan Helme||Wingerworth Fencing Club|
|Under 12 Girl’s Epee|
|2||Alice Holder||Harrogate Fencing Club|
|Under 12 Boy’s Epee|
|2||Matthew Phillips||Wingerworth Fencing Club|
|Under 14 Girl’s Epee|
|1||Katy Cook||Skipton Fencing Club|
|Under 14 Boy’s Epee|
|1||Willem Drury||Wingerworth Fencing Club|
|Under 16 Girl’s Epee|
|Under 16 Boy’s Epee|
|1||Joseph Walker||Swords Fencing Club|
|Under 12 Girl’s Sabre|
|1||Nicole Brown||Skipton Fencing Club|
|2||Lucy Gill||Darlington Street Swords|
|Under 12 Boy’s Sabre|
|2||Harry Easby||Darlington Street Swords|
|1||Sam Walmsley||Marshall Fencing|
|Under 14 Sabre|
|1||Hamish Wood||Teeside Fencing Club|
|2||Gemma Low||Street Swords Darlington, Co. Durham|
The Yorkshire Team Foil Championships will take place at Penistone Grammar School on Saturday 8th June. This is a great fun team event with LOADS of fencing, every place is fought for so no team gets knocked out. Entry details here – Yorkshire Team Foil Championships – Entry Form 2019